Happy family in the swimming pool

Travel alerts

Check out the latest travel updates and important developments. Here you can find information about high-profile events that might disrupt your travel plans as well as advice on what to do if you're affected.

If you're a Post Office Travel Insurance customer, you can find information on how we can help and how these events are described by your policy.

Thinking Ahead

Occasionally industrial action, natural disasters or other unforeseen events can impact your travel plans. Post Office understands how stressful this can be and we will make any useful information we have available on this page to help our customers.

We also recommend checking the latest travel advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office .

Thomas Cook

The unfortunate collapse of travel firm Thomas Cook is a news story many of us never thought we'd hear. Post Office wishes to extend its sympathies to all who are affected by this situation.

In circumstances such as these, we aim to give you any information that you may need.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has set up a special website where they will post information relating to flights. You will be able to find details for what to do if you are already abroad, or if you have a flight booked but you have not yet travelled.

As of 23 September 2019 all future Thomas Cook flights have been cancelled and customers are being advised not to travel to the airport. Flights due to return to the UK between 23 September and 6 October 2019 will be assisted by the CAA repatriation plan. The CAA's repatriation plan does not include any outbound flights from the UK. If you are due to return to the UK after 6 October you will need to arrange these travel arrangements yourself.

Thomas Cook was ATOL protected. As they held an Air Travel Organiser's Licence you should have an ATOL certificate within your documentation. However, not every flight may have this protection so please check before seeking compensation.

Travel Money

Full currency refund on cancelled holidays for Post Office customers

Following the unfortunate collapse of Thomas Cook, Post Office Travel Money has renewed its pledge, first made during the ash cloud flight disruptions resulting from 2010's Eyjafjallajökul volcanic eruptions in Iceland, that none of its customers who have purchased holiday cash from Post Office will be out of pocket because of travel cancellations.

The UK's leading provider of foreign currency, accounting for one-in-four of all currency transactions, is offering refunds at the original price paid on currency purchased for holidays subsequently cancelled because of Thomas Cook's unfortunate collapse. This is part of a wider refund scheme in which the Post Office offers a full refund on currency purchases in the case of a significant event – such as strikes or political unrest – leading to the cancellation of a holiday – including flight-only bookings.

Nick Boden, Head of Post Office Travel Money , said: "We want our customers to be clear that they can rely on the Post Office when they purchase foreign currency from us. We do not want to add to the financial pain suffered by disappointed holidaymakers whose plans are impacted by circumstances beyond their control so we are offering full refunds on money spent purchasing currency from Post Office Travel Money. "

To qualify for a refund, Post Office customers will need to submit both their currency purchase and sell receipts and evidence their holiday was cancelled.

Check your Travel Insurance

If you are unable to regain your costs from the CAA, your travel agent or any other source, you may be able to claim on your travel insurance policy. Provided that your travel insurance policy contains protection for Scheduled Airline Failure or End Supplier Failure you can submit a claim. Check your policy certificate and policy wording to ensure you have the relevant cover or contact your insurer for further information.

If your Travel Insurance was purchased from Post Office please read through the information below.

If your policy number starts with TC

For Premier and Premier Plus customers you will be able to submit a claim under Section P-End Supplier Failure. Please note that there is no cover under this section for Super Economy, Economy or Standard polices. Please call +44 (0) 345 266 1872 or Email: Insolvency-claims@ipplondon.co.uk . Website: www.ipplondon.co.uk/claims.asp

If your policy number starts with TE

For Prime and Elite policy holders you will be able to submit a claim under the 'Financial Failure' section of the policy. There is no cover under this section for Lite policy holders. To make a claim, please call +44 (0) 345 266 1872 or Email: Insolvency-claims@ipplondon.co.uk . Website: www.ipplondon.co.uk/claims.asp

If your policy number starts with TT

For Classic, Superior and Superior Plus customers you will be able to make a claim under sections A2 and B1 of your policy. To make a claim please call 0203 8293819 or download a claim form online.


Sadly we live in an age where terrorist attacks happen and can cause our travel plans to be disrupted. As such it is always best to understand the areas most at risk and plan accordingly. Checking the FCO website for further information will guide you on the ' at risk 'areas.

If you are due to travel to an affected area you may wish to check the guidance from your travel insurance provider. In many cases there is no coverage for certain sections when a terrorist attack happens in the affected area. In some cases you will be covered for any medical costs that you may need. However you will not be covered should you decide not to travel to your destination if it is close to where the attack happened. You should contact your holiday company to establish if they can transfer you to another destination . Following that you may be able to transfer your Travel Insurance to a different area and date in the year. However we strongly recommend that you speak to your Travel Insurance provider at your earliest convenience to discuss your options with them.


Post Office is monitoring the development with Brexit. Until the details of our departure from the European Union are definite, we will be unable to advise on Travel Insurance cover. However we would always advise that our customers read the terms and conditions of their policy wording to understand the policy and it's cover levels.

For more information, please visit the Gov.uk website .

Adverse Weather

Due to Britain's changeable climate we repeatedly experience periods of adverse weather. From heat waves to snow storms, we can never rely fully on the weather forecast when it comes to travel disruption. Make sure you check the details of your policy wording if the weather is looking unsettled.

Check your Airline's website for any updates if you are delayed.

Claims information

If your policy number starts with TC:

You can now make a claim online where you will be able to submit your claim with accompanying documents. Alternatively, call 0333 333 9702 *.

If your policy number starts with TT:

You can download a claim form online . Alternatively, please advise the section of the insurance you want to claim with the master policy number and policy reference to:

Travel Claims Facilities, PO Box 395, Monks Green Farm, Mangrove Lane, Hertford, SG13 9JW.

You can also call 0203 829 3819 *.

If your policy starts with TE:

To make a claim, please email info@csal.co.uk . Alternatively, call +44 (0) 1403 330 233.

Can we help?

To get a quote, buy your travel insurance or cancel your policy, call:

0330 123 3690 * 8am-8pm, Mon-Fri
9am-5pm, Sat
10am-5pm, Sun

Emergency medical assistance

If your policy starts with TC:

+44 208 865 3074 * 24 hours a day

If your policy starts with TT:

+44 203 829 3820 * 24 hours a day

If your policy starts with TE:

+44 (0) 1403 289 163 (from anywhere except the USA, Canada or Mexico, available 24 hours a day)

+1 877 324 0460 (toll free from the USA or Canada, available 24 hours a day)

+1 819 780 0644 (from Mexico, available 24 hours a day)

Small print

* Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calling a standard geographic number starting with 01 or 02 from your fixed line or mobile and may be included in your call package dependent on your service provider. Calls may be monitored or recorded for training and compliance purposes.